Monday, August 25, 2008

The Second Time Around

As a new set of little feet fill the halls of Cedar High School with a cacophony of pitters and patters, I look forward with hope and a little angst at what could be a very good or a very bad ten months. And to assist me in my forward lookingness, I am reminded of the contemplations of a coworker that started teaching the same year I did. He started by asking me if it was weird to me that certain students were not here anymore. I agreed - this past graduating class has been here my entire experience as a teacher thus far (see my May post) - and told him that I keep looking for faces that I don't see anymore. He went on to say, and I quote, "We've made it through high school twice - once for ourselves, and another time for someone else. And now we only have 6 1/2 more times to go before we graduate for good."

If you are anything like me, you may see this as an interesting way of looking at your years to retirement. Or it may seem insane to many of you that there of those of us who knowingly go back to high school, and will continue to do so many many times. There is a teacher, kid you not, who has been through high school 11 times! Once for himself, and MORE than 10 times as an educator. I am content with my 6 1/2 more times.

And for those of you wondering, high school is WAAAY better the second time around.

1 comment:

Meg said...

wow, I never thought of that. Kind of cool. Good luck on a new year.
About the widgets: I actually went into the widget thing looking for one that you had on yours that shows recent comments. I couldn't find that one so i just added this one. It was right on the 'add widget' page. I don't know? I am not smart at computer stuff. I was trying to copy you, and I think it is funny that now you want what I have! Well, technically you wanted it first, but still! I think it is hilarious.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...