Saturday, September 19, 2009

Dabbling with ink

This weekend I attended for the fourth time the creative writing conference put on for teachers every year by SUU and had a ball. The conference centers on ways for teachers to incorporate creative writing into the classroom. I center on having an excuse to listen to professional writers who teach at major universities and getting to do my own writitng. Yesterday there were two writers that were particularly interesting to listen to: Simone Di Piero from Stanford Univ (poetry) and Alison Deming from the Univ of Az (creative nonfiction). Today we got to hear Nola Lodge from the U of U, an Oneida Indian from right outside of my hometown of Green Bay, WI, who discussed reacing American Indian students through creative writing.

I've been in a writing black-hole since December when I submitted some poems to a writing competition. I felt like they were the best poems I'd ever written, and not being picked (though I knew it would be a long shot anyway) as even a top 50 finalist was, I guess, more discouraging than I expected it would be. I didn't lose sleep or shed tears or anything, but I haven't written anything since. Until yesterday. And I only wrote what was asked from all 30 of us attending the conference. But it felt good. I'm not done with the creative nonfiction piece yet (which I will share), but here is the poem. Interestingly enough, Mr. Di Piero didn't seem to like it that much. But it didin't faze me like I thought it would. I told myself in the shaking moments before I volunteered myself that he was the published expert and it was an opportunity to find out what I could do better. But Danielle Dubrasky, who was my peotry teacher at SUU and who puts the conference together, and who was Di Piero's student at Stanford, did. Rejection from one, validation from another. I hate Emily Dickenson. Others say she is the best America has to offer. So what does it mean? I can't easily do tricks with words the way others, including the college students sitting behind me, can. But I have something to say. You may or may not like it, but saying it is the important part. What do you have to say? If you started a poem with the same first two lines as mine (the assignment all in attendance were given), how would your poem turn out?

Odysseus told his men
to plug their ears with wax,
keeping for himself
the song worth dying for.
I would have done it,
resented him for asking
because he would have known I
would be the one to concede,
my ears stuffed dumly,
sitting on the wooden deck waiting.

I would hate him right then
for my future later
without that song,
telling myself I could
remember better,
deserve more those notes
though my resolve to stand
tied alone
would have jumped before
we had lost sight of the shore.


4 comments:

Meg said...

I love it. I love it. I love it. I am glad that you are writing again, for whatever reason. I love your poetry and am so happy that you are willing to share it with everyone in blogland. I love the idea of the 'song not heard'. So creative. And so you, you being a music lover. I don't know if I am taking it the way you intended but whatever, I loved it. Can't wait for more.

Lisa said...

I have always thought you had a way with words. Sometimes I wish you could talk for me. Good Job, I love it!

Claudia said...

Erin, you know I am your biggest fan. I'm glad you enjoyed the conference. I think you are incredibly brave for volutnteering to share your work. And that you take any (no matter how warranted) criticism as a chance to grow. I don't have that much confidence. I, too, am so glad you are writing again. Love the poem. Can't wait for the CNF!

Nora said...

What a neat conference to be able to attend! I loved your poem and would love to read more :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...