The past few weeks have been busy though. It started with my friend Laura's wedding weekend - September 12. After that, homecoming week. Homecoming came early this year, and I participate in a lot of the activities there whether I am supposed to or not because I am on the homecoming committee and my friend in the English department is over student government and I volunteer my services to her. My involvement was truncated this year from what it usually is, but it was still a busy week for me. I chaperoned the Athena Club (of which I am advisor) service project to weed the courtyard flower beds that have been neglected for years, the homecoming dance, the senior activity of whitewashing the 'C' on Cedar Mountain, Spirit Night, and the game of course. Throw in the Back-to-School night parent-teacher meet 'n mingle and the SUU Creative Writing Conference on Friday and Saturday and you've rounded off that week.
I tilled all of the plots when the girls were done weeding. In flipflops. I would not recommend this - weeding, tilling or doing it in flipflops. Both tilling and doing it in flipflops lead to intense body aches for at least 4 days.

The seniors have whitewashed the 'C' since the beginning of 'C'dom. And I've gone up with them every year since I started teaching. Then they get sprayed by the city water truck when they are posed for a picture - after all these years, they are somehow still surprised by this. Dummy's.

The snake dance. This used to be done through the streets of the city. Now it is restricted to the football field, but it's still fun.

It took a long time to get my nephew Mikey to paint his face. Three tries, actually. And in stages. First, I had to get it done. He wouldn't. Then he decided he really liked mine, so he got the red C on his cheek, but I had to paint it. Then we sat down again and he wanted the other colors that I had on my cheek. At that point he let the student in charge paint it on. And he looked so cute! I'm happy to have him mistaken as my son by the students anytime.
Mikey loved the halftime fireworks show... and the pizza, hotdogs, chips, and soda.

Touchdown! Students let go of the balloons given them before the game after the first one. Mikey was in the bathroom, but I let his go. He was very concerned. I was just glad he and Rori didn't have anything to fight over anymore or to hit the head of the man in front of us with.
Cedar High really does have a beautiful stadium view. If there's nothing on the field to attract your attention, at least the scenery is nice!
Then take a week off from extra-curricular chaperoning. But now hopelessly behind on grading.
Then insert parent-teacher conferences last week after school. And me getting sick for two days (my first since I started teaching). Salt Lake City for a wedding, my brother Mark visiting and Mikey's birthday. And now I'm REALLY hopelessly behind on grading. So much so that I dread even starting. So sometimes I don't. And I'm still tired. But the doctor at the Insta-Care said it wasn't the Swine because I didn't have a fever.
The most recently dedicated Oquirrh Mountain LDS Temple in South Jordan, Utah.
We are a lovely bunch, aren't we?

Then take a week off from extra-curricular chaperoning. But now hopelessly behind on grading.
Then insert parent-teacher conferences last week after school. And me getting sick for two days (my first since I started teaching). Salt Lake City for a wedding, my brother Mark visiting and Mikey's birthday. And now I'm REALLY hopelessly behind on grading. So much so that I dread even starting. So sometimes I don't. And I'm still tired. But the doctor at the Insta-Care said it wasn't the Swine because I didn't have a fever.
I love these two cherub faces! Happy 3rd birthday, Mikey!
This is the half - yes, HALF - of my grading pile that I have at home. So who wants to be a procrastinating English teacher...anyone?...anyone? (WARNING: When looking at the quarter through a rear view mirror, the stack may appear smaller and further away than it actually is. Approach with caution. )
4 comments:
You are so funny! Loved the post--it's nice to finally see what you've been up to! And just think--in a week I'll get to see it in person! Wooohooo!
Sorry--that's me, Claudia, signed in under Adam's name...
Hahahaha! You better get that done so when Claud comes you don't have that to come home to.
You are busy!! I'd be procrastinating too! Watching a show sounds way more fun than grading papers!! :) Just like reading blogs sounds way more fun to me than cleaning my house. :)
Post a Comment