 |
| These schoolchildren have the right idea! |
Germany's average temperatures during November rest somewhere around 42 degrees. The problem with that is that I live in southern Utah. It's dry. There's usually lots of sun. A forecast of 42 quite often ends up in an actual 47. That is not the case in Germany. I really should have remembered this from my years growing up in Wisconsin where the fall is quite overcast, wet, and gloomy - and at a similar latitude as Germany. Where a high of 42 quite often ends up in an actual 39. Don't get me wrong here - I brought a hat and scarf, but I brought ones that were cute instead of functional because I underestimated the rain, snow, and chill. I brought gloves but didn't anticipate the dampness seeping into them. I brought thermal underwear, but only the bottoms. I brought a coat, but one that would be cute in pictures (which is funny since there are literally only six pictures of me out of about 1200, and the coat can only be seen in three of them) instead of a more substantial winter coat. In short, I didn't prepare
 |
| I brought an umbrella. I forgot it in my suitcase though. |
well. I wore the same long-johns all but the first day I was there. I wore both of the sweaters I brought layered one over the other all but one day. And I bought a second scarf (worn on top of the first) and matching mittens that helped me make it through night tours of Munich and a castle tour in the foothills of the Alps during the first substantial snow of the season. I didn't prepare well, but when combining the items that I had, and adding slightly to them, I was able to stay warm enough. But my lesson has been learned - average temperatures are not actual temperatures, and it's ridiculous to pack for style when everything will be covered up by a coat that's not warm enough. But don't worry. I am ready now for next time.
 |
| Smiling in the snow |
 |
| The night I bought the second scarf and third pair of gloves |
 |
| Telling myself how smart I was to buy a second scarf and third pair of gloves |
 |
| Beautiful and cold |
 |
| It's getting deeper! |
2 comments:
I have been reading your travel entries and I have been loving them. I haven't been commenting because I haven't taken the time to do any correspondence to anyone. Too tired! I do want you to know how AMAZING your trip is. I am loving your 'lessons learned' series about European travel. You should write a travel book. Your style is so fun to read, not dry and and not too itemized (does that make sense? mean it isn't like a list of things you did).
I love all of your photos, you are so talented. I wish I could have been there with you! It looks awesome. I would love to go to Europe!
I love you, love your blogs, miss you.
Ditto.
Post a Comment