Fall is turning to winter here in southern Utah, but I feel like I'm only barely processing what a great summer I had! I'm lucky in lots of ways, one of which is that I have family and friends who live far away from me so I have fun places to visit (NOT that I am happy they live far away), and that, after I finish professional development classes, I have time to visit the corners of the Earth. My summer was a whirlwind, but here are some of the "Best Of" moments.
1) My visit to Claudia, Claire and Adam in Oregon. Not only did I get to hang out in the Portland area, which I adore - going on walks, visiting parks, a trip to the zoo and to the farmers market -
but we took some amazing side trips to the Olympic National Park in Washington, which has four distinct climate ecosystems to explore. The mountains still had 5 to 7 foot snowdrifts!
 |
| How many of you can say you've had a snowball fight on the last day of June? |
 |
| On through the lowland forest |
 |
| The rain forest on probably one of the only sunny days they have all year. |
 |
| The coastal area of the park was probably my favorite, so I wish I wasn't feeling sick so I could have enjoyed it more. |
From there, we headed on to Idaho Falls, Idaho to spend time with my brother-in-law Adam's family for the Independence Day weekend, where we branched out to the town of Island Park and the Belnap cabin, and up to nearby Yellowstone National Park.
 |
| I love this fairy ballerina princess who wears tutus with jeans and pink Converse shoes! |
 |
| It was a beautiful day in Yellowstone! |
 |
| the mud pots |
 |
| I'm so proud of my pregnant sister who hiked up this gravelly hill with no trail so we could get a better view of one of the paint pots. What a champ! |
 |
| the first grizzly bear |
 |
| The second grizzly bear - I've always wanted to see one in the wild, and I got to see two in one day! |
 |
| We were close enough to the bear that we could hear it chomping on the dandelions! |
 |
| the Lower Falls |
 |
| the Upper Falls |
 |
| Island Park, ID |
 |
| the Teton Mountains |
 |
| back in Idaho Falls |
 |
| Happy 4th of July! |
 |
| Somewhere in eastern Oregon |
2) Within days of returning from my visit with the Belnaps, I headed to Washington DC. I received a scholarship to attend a three day teaching conference at the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum, but there was also a lot of time to see much of the rest of the city. In spite of the stiflingly hot and humid weather, I had a great adventure exploring this nation's capitol - and Capitol. There are still plenty of sites I didn't have time to see, but I was in museum heaven, in emotional awe while seeing the documents this nation rests on, the original flag it fought for, and the names and images of thousands who have died during those fights.
 |
| Highlights at the Museum of American History... |
 |
| Michelle Obama's inaugural ball gown |
 |
| and the Museum of Natural History. |
 |
| David Quinlan - high school friend of my father who died in Vietnam. |
 |
| United State Holocaust Memorial Museum - grateful for the time I got to spend there, the great teachers I got to meet, the things I was able to learn, and the survivor, historian, and Nazi prosecutor I was able to learn from. |
 |
| Korean War Memorial |
 |
| Utah Senator Jim Matheson's office in the Rayburn building - the starting point for the Capitol tour that I almost didn't make - I took my time walking around the city, visiting some memorials I had missed, when I realized an hour before I was supposed to go on the tour that I had forgotten the address/tour confirmation of where I was supposed to go. I ran - literally - back to the hotel from the Metro station and back again, and got to the office 15 minutes late and literally dripping sweat. I almost turned around and called it quits when I couldn't figure out where I was supposed to go. I went anyway and discovered that the the intern was still waiting for another group of people to show up and hadn't left. They cancelled and I got a private tour! |
 |
| The tunnel from the Rayburn Building to the Capitol building; also where I saw Ron Paul (would have taken a picture but I was a little star struck and mentally froze, as was my intern guide) and many other senators as they walked to and from the House, which was in session. Later, I would see Nacy Pelosi on the House floor, but photography was not allowed. |
 |
| Me standing in the exact center of Washington DC, which is on the lowest level of the Capitol. |
 |
| The Library of Congress, one of the most beautiful buildings I have ever been in. It rivals the palaces of Europe, and has the largest collection of books in the world on top of it! |
 |
| The collection room, which is not open to the public. |
 |
| My sweat had finally dried when the rain storm started. My linen pants were soaked to my knees, and my hair was a crunchy, salty, frizzy mess. I was a sweet disaster just in time for my dinner reservation. |
 |
| The Navy Memorial |
 |
| My special treat to myself - a meal at America Eats Tavern. Delicious! The restaurant opened in conjunction with an exhibit at the National Archive about the history of food in America. The menu consisted of foods that were considered original American fare, and there were dates and descriptions of when the foods first appeared in American cookbooks. I had shrimp and grits for an appetizer, a lobster roll for dinner, a specialty root beer, and New York cheesecake for desert. |
 |
| The National Archive, home of the Constitution, Bill of Rights, and the Declaration of Independence. I made this my first stop, and felt I was in a sacred place. |
 |
| Foggy Bottom, the neighborhood where I stayed. It is quiet and full of old town homes. It is also the location of George Washington University. Five blocks to the south is the Lincoln Monument, and five to the east is the White House. It was a great place to say, convenient, and I felt very safe. |
 |
| The DC Metro - the cleanest subway system I've ever been in. No food or drink is allowed, and people actually follow the rule! |
3) The summer closed with a trip to California for a surprise visit for my sister Beth's kids to Disneyland.
 |
| SOOOOO excited! |
 |
| PIRATES! Third visit to Disneyland, but only the first time on this classic (It was closed the last two times) |
 |
| Nap time |
 |
| Haunted Mansion |
 |
| Shooting at aliens! |
 |
| Tinkerbell's Pixie Hollow |
 |
| Nemo's Submarine Voyage |
 |
| Sarah LOVED this ride! |
 |
| It's a Small World - one of my favorites. |
 |
| Hanging out in Minnie's kitchen |
 |
| I couldn't go all the way to California without spending some time on the coast, so I spend the afternoon at Manhattan Beach. It's popular with surfers as it has pretty strong waves, which I discovered firsthand when a series of waves knocked me over and I probably flashed everyone on the beach when the waves took my swimsuit with them. I got the worst sunburn of my life but drove home entirely relaxed. It was worth it. |
I can't remember ever having a busier summer, but I traveled from coast to coast and saw a lot of things I've never seen before. Overall, I'd say it was pretty successful! And if you made it to the end of this longest post ever, good for you.
6 comments:
What a great recap of your amazing, busy summer! You take some great pictures, sister! We all had so much fun with you visiting us, and I am so glad you were able to spend so much time in Oregon, not to mention making us your first stop. And thank you for managing to take pictures of me that magically don't make me look fat. Loved the Disneyland photos, too. That one of Mikey and Rori napping is hilarious. You are quite the traveller, and I'm so proud of the things you get to do! Love you!
Can I have some of those Disney pictures? Also I love the RUBY SLIPPERS!!!!!! They are the coolest shoes ever!
What a great Summer! I loved all the pictures of Oregon and especially Washington DC as I have never been there. You are an amazing gal you know. I am glad you had some fun. MIss you.
You have some really beautiful pictures in that post!
Erin, YOU DID have the Raddest Summer EVER! Especially when you compare it to mine.... ;) By the way, you have some awesome/beautiful pictures! Love them!
Like everyone else said...looks like TONS of fun and cool pictures too. I especially liked the Oregon pics. Next time your here call us! We miss you!
Post a Comment