| Florence (Bergman) St. Laurent, HS graduation approx. 1932 |
- When Grandma was born, she had neither a telephone nor electricity. Her family used gas lighting. She doesn't remember when she first had electricity.
- Her two older married sisters and their husbands lived in the same house as she and her parents did.
- She lived on the corner of Main St. in Brockton, Massachusetts. There was a grocery store nearby (within a few doors of hers), a 5 and 10, and a few others where they would do their shopping. Bread was 17 cents a loaf, and the best hamburger (she said "hamburg") was 35 cents/lb.
- Her family was very poor. Her father worked in a shoe factory. He was laid off at some point, probably during the Depression ("the first Depression"). Grandma said he got a job for the government fixing roads and such. He worked for $9 a week.
- Her mother did the laundry in a big tub with a corrugated metal washing board.
- She had very few toys. She remembers a large teddy bear she was given by her uncle when she was seven. Her father gave her and her older brother (by 2 years) Flyer sleds, and some ice skates he had bought her from a thrift store (Salvation Army?) because they were cheaper there.
| In 2008 |
- She loved to go swimming. She remembers her sister, who was quite a bit older than her, her sister's husband, and their kids would pick her up in their car and drive to the Cape or Nantasket Beach. Interestingly enough, Grandma didn't learn how to swim until she was around 50 year old, 10 years give or take before I was born. I remember her at around 70 diving off a little dock at the local pond and doing underwater handstands. I couldn't have been more than 8 or 9. It was the first time I realized that there was more to my grandma than I realized. I'm happy to report that she remembers that day too.
- In school, if a student talked back to a teacher or got into any sort of trouble, he/she would be sent to the principal's office and be paddled.
- The farthest she has traveled from her home in Massachusetts is to Rhode Island, again with her sister and brother-in-law. As mentioned before, she also made some trips to Cape Cod.
- Grandma loves music. She used to play the guitar, and enjoyed dancing and country music (I need to ask her which artists were her favorite). She is a writer of poetry.
- Grandma was keen on a young man who died in WWII. She does have some pictures of him tucked away in a photo album. After he died she met my grandfather, and if I remember correctly, she met him in the park. They were riding a bikes.
- Her parents were immigrants - her mother from France and her father from Armenia - but neither of them talked much about where they came from. She doesn't know for sure how they met.
While these details are not a full summary, nor do they define her, they do make up part of a wonderful record of the long life Grandma has lived. I have many more questions about her experiences, but am ashamed that I have waited so long to start asking her. One of the thoughts I had while she was remembering is how so often today we complain and talk about sacrifice - or the sacrifices we don't want our children to have to experience - when in reality the sacrifices we experience today put us in a better position than the average person had as their daily reality, no "sacrificing" being part of it for them. Our lives are so comfortable in comparison, and even those who struggle (in some situations) still have it better than what what she and many others did normally. The thing is, she described it so unemotionally - not trying to do a one-up on suffering. She certainly is amazing, my grandma, and I can't wait to find out what she will share next!
1 comment:
Thank you so much for writing this down. I found myself getting teary-eyed while reading it. She certainly has not led the easiest life, for many reasons, and yet she is not hardened like a lot of people you see now days who have it tough. Maybe reserved because of it, but certainly not hardened. Please write more, if you can. Can you write down her recollections of her mother, if you remember? I may have collected family history data, but you are certainly the documentarian. Thank you for doing this.
Post a Comment