Sunday, April 15, 2012

The Grown Up

When I was in middle schould, I thought being a grown up would be so cool because I could do whatever I wanted whenever I wanted to.  I wouldn't be bossed around anymore.  I could eat as many Oreo's as I wanted.  I would have all this money I could spend on all the things I wanted to do (my parents were just being selfish and stingy; I knew they just HAD to be ROLLING in money and they wouldn't buy me the stuff I wanted because they just didn't want to share).  Life would be glamorous starting at about high school (Beverly Hills 90210) and would just get better from there (Melrose Place, which, interestingly enough, I never watched.  But they sure looked like they had important stuff going on!)  I didn't know what that would look like, but it would be so much better than what I had at the moment.

When I was in middle and high school, I thought being a grown up would be so boring because I'd have to go to work and I wouldn't have any friends anymore.  College was the pinnacle of life, so I just had to get there.  Getting out of Green Bay would make me happy because, let's face it, anything HAD to be more exciting than Green Bay, Wisconsin.  There, I would really start living life to the fullest (Friends).  Friends, boys, parties, and classes that I actually was interested in would be so awesome...I couldn't wait!  I didn't know what it would look like, but I would be so happy because it would be so much better than what I had at the moment.

When I was in college, I thought being a grown up would be cool because I would finally have money to do what I wanted to do while I was in college; I would have a husband and home of my own, which would be great.  It would be clean and picked up because it's always easier to keep things clean when you don't have roommates and you know which messes are yours.  It would be well decorated, this house of mine.  I didn't necessarily want to have to go to work, but when I or my husband had time off, we would explore the world - my own new little family, of which I would be the coolest involved most easy going wife and mother ever.  And we would always have enough money that we would never have to say no to anything really amazing.  I didn't know what that would look like, but things would fall into place in a way that was very different than the way they were at the moment.

Now I'm here, I guess.  Adulthood.  The problem is that I still don't know what it means to be an adult.  I still feel like college was just a few years ago, and my lifestyle hasn't changed too much since that time.  There is no husband or children or home of my own.  I keep late hours (sleeping and rising).  I answer to parents (of my students).  I have homework (to grade) and tests to prepare for (the standardized variety).  I have summers full of lazy boredom off.  I eat a lot of the same easy to make meals like mac 'n cheese, sandwiches, and breakfast for dinner, just like I did in - wait for it - college.  I am neither motivated to regularly plan meals ahead of time, nor do I usually eat at the table.  I am not great with money.  I'm actually becoming more selfish than I used to be, if that is at all possible. I still have a roommate, there is no rush to keep things super clean, and I am not even close to owning my own home. And when activities are planned for LDS singles of my age to meet other singles, they usually end up being dances - the same activity that was planned for 14 year olds.  I think the only thing that has really "grown up" over the years is the way I dress.  To be succinct, I am not an adult, or at least what I pictured one to be.

This has led to a lot of dissatisfaction with my life. In a side by side comparison of success,  I am a stunted cougar/college student hybrid (not in the dating younger men way, just in the too old to be a coed but still being one anyway) minus the cool parties and tropical spring break.  My former students are more likely to comment on my Facebook page than people my own age, in part  because of my hypothesis that there is an unspoken club that women are invited to join when they get married that separates the women from the girls, and yet another when they have children, and I am now two VIP passes behind.  In all actuality, I am in a different world than my peers, which makes us not really peers anymore, does it.  

So what is this eternally single, emotionally and motivationally immature woman-child to do?  How do I become a real boy...er, adult?  According to Wikipedia, "one may legally be an adult but possess none of the maturity and responsibility that define adult character."  I worry where I fit within that framework, or more accurately where other people would say the details of my life fit.  It actually frightens me a little bit.  That being said, I am determined to feel comfortable in my own skin.  The last few years I have been trying to love me, or at least the outside of me.  While that is still a work in progress, I am determined to not just like the physical shell, but also the life I have created for myself.  Sure, it isn't what I would have chosen for my pseudo-adulthood, but I've got to make it work somehow until it changes or doesn't change.  Being productive, having a daily purpose, contributing to the greater good of the world around oneself - I think these are all things that transition a person into an adult.  I have had moments of each of these, but I don't know if it's been simultaneous.  I need to meld these things together,  in addition to changing behaviors that I thought I would be forced to change when my relationship status would when I still thought my relationship status would change ever so many years ago.  I shouldn't be waiting for that to happen first - what a ridiculous thought after all the times I've stopped waiting for other things!  I will figure out how to be proud of the life that I have  now.    I will grow up.

4 comments:

Meg said...

This made me cry. A couple of times. I can prove it. I just typed 'cray'. Then 'cyr'. It is hard to type with tears. I love you. I love your writing and the way you think. I wish my mind worked like yours.
Also, you are and always have been one of the most generous people I know. With your time, talents and money. I don't think you can be selfish and generous at the same time.
Also, you are much more mature than I am and I have kids. So I don't think that means anything. And I also like mac and cheese and I am a bit of a foodie snob. I actually miss eating mac and cheese more than bread since going GF at home. I love me some Annies Sharp Cheddar Shells. Next time I come to visit you without my kids, lets make that for dinner.

Claudia said...

You don't give yourself enough credit. It's so easy to look at our lives and only see the things that we haven't "accomplished". As I was reading your list of "adultness", you've actually realized many of those things, just in a little different way than you would have thought. It's the same for all of us, isn't it? you talk about travelling the world with your husband, having a nicely decorated home, having kids. You've traveled the world, just with no husband. You are awesome at decorating. You have an amazing relationship with kids - they just happen to be with your nieces and nephews, but that doesn't change the fact that you are "the coolest involved most easy going" aunt in the world. I just browsed through some of your old blog posts and you know what I saw? Videos and pictures of my kids. Beth's kids. Videos that are precious and priceless and could very well have been taken by said kids' mothers or fathers. But they weren't. They were taken by you. Because you love them, and they adore you. And yes, you are very well put together. Me? I thought I would have many of the same things that you wrote about. Almost exactly as you wrote about them. I have a husband, but we haven't traveled the world. I live in a nice place, but I don't own a home (not yet, anyway, even after 5 years of marriage), but it is certainly not as nicely decorated as yours. I think that our search to buy a home is motivated more by necessity (we are literally bursting at the seams in our apartment) than by the need to have the freedom to paint and put nails in the wall. There is a freedom in renting that Adam and I freely acknowledge. Yes, I have kids, but I always told myself that I wouldn't be one of those frumpy moms, and sadly, I am borderline frumpy. And I still relish the fact that I get to eat macaroni and cheese for lunch. And fish sticks. With lots of ketchup. And even though I have a husband and two beautiful children, all of whom I adore, I sometimes long for the freedom and relatively responsibility-free lifestyle that college had to offer, where I got to go to any movie I wanted and could sleep in and didn't feel guilty for hanging out in jammies until noon. And I still WANT to eat on the couch, but I feel like I better be a good example and eat at the table, because let's face it...Claire eating on the couch would be a disaster. You've seen the carpet under our dining table, specifically under the chair where claire sits. And most days I have no desire to keep things clean. Wait...I do have the desire, but not the motivation. I still stay up way too late, and then am crabby at my kids because I can't sleep in like I used too (even though by most kid standards, I have it pretty easy) And as for dances...well, I have had 2 opportunities to dance with Adam since I've been married. One was at Josh's wedding, but sadly, Adam was gone the entire time with his other college buddies to get stuff to decorate the car. Didn't get even one dance (not too different from youth scenarios, is it?) And I got one dance at Trent's wedding back in September. The rest of the time I was hobbling around, as big as a house, trying to wrangle Claire while Adam hung out with his brothers. Yes, singles dances are lame, but now that I actually have a husband - a dance partner, if you will - I don't get to dance with him. So yeah, the devil is in the details. But if you look past all the "have nots" in our lives, things are pretty good. No, it's not always what we thought it would be. I don't know if I ever wanted to have it all. But I have a lot. And you have a lot too. Yes, it's different, but it's still pretty darn good. I love you so much. I hope you love you as much as I do.

Brianne said...

Being single in the LDS church, where the family is the central focus and so much relies upon being married with children, is tough. The day I was too old to attend the single's ward was the hardest Sunday for me. I felt like a failure, and even more so when I sat alone in the back of the chapel with my family ward. I had so many dreams that hadn't come to fruition, and I still feel like I messed up somewhere and didn't deserve those righteous desires. I have so much love to give, and no one was even remotely interested in that. I read this, and can relate to every word you wrote. I remember praying, saying it is a righteous desire to marry and have children! I'm not asking for a new car or a million bucks! In April of 2010, I decided to as you say "grow up." I put in paper a plan to get out of debt, sell my home and move back in with my parents, and I was going to have a baby on my own. I remember one of the last conversations I had with Heather Jo about this, about how I was done waiting for a husband to come "save me," and just moving on in faith that I can and will be happy on my own. It was so much wasted energy, dreaming of this life I wanted to have and not living the life I was already in. Heather passed in May, I met Justen in June, and even though he's not LDS, we aren't marrying in the temple, and it's not the perfect happily ever after the church has always taught, I feel pretty blessed. Even if Heather hadn't begged on my behalf (which I'm pretty sure she did as the timing was serendipitous), I too "wrote" this post. Your words were my less eloquent mantra, to stop waiting and grow up. It wasn't a dream deferred, it was accepting that my path was different than everyone else I know and love. Because of that, you're special, I feel special. We have a unique perspective that none of our friends and loved ones have! My mom had 4 kids when she was my age! The single friends I have are a decade younger than me! But life is good. Life is different than I thought, prayed and hoped for, but it's still good. I sure love you. You are an amazing woman, so much more wonderful than I am, and I love your talent at putting words down on paper that really express your hopes and dreams. Thanks for sharing this, I feel like you took the words right out of my mouth.

Jody said...

This almost made me laugh because as long as I've known you I've always thought that I wanted to be just like you when I grow up. You are honestly one of the coolest adults I know. But I have felt some of these same things lately. I just can't figure out why I'm surprised every time things don't turn out how I've imagined...they never do. I just try to remember that if I can't be happy with what I have I probably won't be happy with whatever it is that I think will make me happy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...