Sunday, November 18, 2012

A Halloween Miracle

Let's play a game, the one where it's a few days from a holiday and I'm just posting about the previous one and you just get to watch me. ;)

I love Halloween.I know it's not a real holiday, but I love the decorations, the spookiness, the candy, having a reason to enjoy getting scared, the trick-or-treaters, pumpkins, fall weather,  haunted houses...it's just fun!

So maybe you can imagine my dismay when I got my Halloween decorations out of the storage unit and smelled something funny in the plastic bin, only to discover black mold had overtaken a lot of my decorations and costumes.  Since the decorations are mostly wood, a little water went a long way on the organic materials.  Finding black mold in a plastic container really is spooky, and the physical effects of inhaling it, though brief, where pretty quick.  The bin and its contents quickly went outside

Some of the worst victims of the mold
A gray fuzz covered these guys
the canvas on this wall hanging became a petri dish of sorts
A little green mixed in for variety

I was pretty bummed in between my coughs and had to throw out a table cloth, half of my decorations (I was too scared to attempt to clean most of them and bring them back into the house), and three costumes.  I was able to salvage a few though, as they were at the top of the bin.  A little vinegar solution (hopefully) did the trick on the wooden items, and a shopping trip and birthday gift took care of the rest.  Mix in a trip to the pumpkin patch with my nieces and nephew, some trick-or-treating action, and Halloween was saved!



















1 comment:

Claudia said...

That is so so sad about your decorations! Glad you were able to salvage some. And I LOVE those pics of the pumpkin patch. Wish we could've done that with you guys!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...