Ancient Rome is fascinating. I didn't listen to podcasts or carry a travel book around that summarized every pillar and foundation remains. I just walked and imagined what it would have been like to stand in the Forum or watch an exhibition at the Colosseum or live on Palatine Hill. I only wish I had watched Gladiator again before I left. My imagination is pretty good, but it would have added to the special affects going on in my brain.
 |
| some kind of display set up at Circus Maximus, right next to Palatine Hill |
 |
| walking the cobblestoned Roman road to the Colosseum |
On the second level of the Colosseum, there are really great exhibits about artifacts, artwork, and gladiator culture. For how short Italians are, it surprised me how steep the stairs leading up to the second level are - it was a climb even for my Jolly Green Giant legs!
 |
| This one made me laugh - he looks like Little Caesar - "Pizza, pizza!" |
 |
| Animal remains from parades and gladiator battles - how cool is that! There are bones of deer, bears, wolf, ostrich, numberous big cats (mostly unspecified) including leopard, horse, roosters, and raptors. |
 |
| Is it wrong that I regret not getting a picture with one of these guys more than I regret not taking a gondola ride? |
 |
| . |
And my personal favorite, the Pantheon:
 |
| Ok, this is the piazza outside of it, but I liked it. |
 |
| the alter of this now Catholic church |
 |
| the tomb of Victor Emanuel II, first king of unified Italy |
1 comment:
Loved just about everything about these pictures. Also loved Little Caesar.
Post a Comment