Sunday, August 16, 2015

The End of Something

The end of my 11th year of teaching was bittersweet with a lot of changes.  First was debate in March.  Ann and I had retired at the end of the previous year, a new coach was hired, and then that coach quit.  Ann and I were back, though with the understanding that this was the last year we would coach.  We had a great group of kids and a MUCH bigger team than the year before.  It felt good to see a program that had started with seven participants five years before blossom into a group of over forty.  We finished first in region for the second year in a row, fourth in state, had participants place in the top three in three events, and in the top 10 in eight. In fact, all but two participants earned points for our team.  We closed the year with a Disney-themed murder mystery party.  

Our coaching team: me, Olivia and Ann
Our 25 member state qualifying team


The end of coaching debate wasn't the only finale for Ann.  My friend and mentor decided to retire, much to my sadness.  Though I understood and supported her reasoning, I couldn't help but feel...sad.  Just sad.  What started as her being assigned to be my mentor my first year of teaching had blossomed into a friendship full of adventure, collaboration, good food, and heartfelt talks. While she is still in my life, her family needs her in Texas for weeks at a time. To temper the difficulty of leaving, Ann and another retiring coworker decided to have their retirement party at the bowling alley. It was a nice way of spending time as a faculty without it becoming a gathering of mourning.




Most of the English department - Melissa, Tasha, Julie, Kristin, and me
   The student body officers this year had very grand plans for celebrating the end of the school year, the final hurrah being a color dance.  While chaperoning dances can often be dull, this was one that many of us were quick to volunteer for as we were invited to participate in throwing the colored chalk at the given time.  It was also a fun final Cedar High activity to do with Ann.



With one of my favorite graduating former students, Megan, and Dana

 I don't know what the future holds, and as the new school year approaches in a few short days I am still struggling with the change and the loss of my friend being there every day.  I know there must always come a time when the student must fend for themselves, away from the guiding eye and advice of their mentor.  That mentor could have been anyone, but I'm glad it was Ann.  She taught me well.

1 comment:

Claudia said...

Awwwe. You know, when you were posting pictures of your CO trip, I kept wondering "where's Ann? Why isn't she going?", totally forgetting that she retired. Even for an outsider, I viewed the two of you as partners in crime. Sorry that your work friend is gone, but best of luck to her (and to you as you start your new year, of course!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...