Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Star Struck


Very rarely does a person get to meet the author of a book she enjoys. Even more infrequently does a teacher get to meet the author of a book she teaches becuase of our inclination to teach books by dead people. I recently got to meet Orson Scott Card, the author of Ender's Game. At the end of the previous school year, I was searching for a book that would appeal to the boys in my classess. Girls will read anything, but if a boy doesn't like the book we're reading he'll just stop. I finally came to Ender's Game. A week before school started, Mr. Card was in town to speak at the Utah Shakespeare Festival and was scheduled to do a book signing later that day. I found out the day before, and was planning all of the things I was going to say to him. I was second in line, I approached the table, and...and...I couldln't think of anything to say! And after a moment of stuttering - during which time he is signing my books - words just started spewing from my mouth. I "gushed," said one of my friends who attended with me (I attended with my English teacher friends from work). It was pretty embarassing as there were many many people behind me in line, including my colleagues, but he was very gracious about it and kindly obliged to take a picture with us. Nice man and fabulous book!

2 comments:

Claudia said...

Yipee!! A new post! I anxiously check ever day (okay, sometimes more than once a day) to see if there is anything new, and finally my thirst has been quenched! Glad I finally got to see the pic with Orson Scott Card! And nice job on the classroom billboard!

laurel said...

That is so fun! Glad you got to do something so neat. Are'nt those once in a life time experiences cool. Also, just so you know....we really love your sister. We love you too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...