Friday, October 5, 2007

Expensive Gift

This spring, as school came to a close, a graduating student gave me a pastel drawing he had made of the fingers of Kolob Canyon. It is beautiful but to display it, it needed a frame becuase it smudges so easily. So I went to have a frame made for it. No big deal, right? I'm guessing $50 is what it would cost. It isn't a standard size so buying a frame at Walmart would be impossible. So I had a frame made. Now I need an insurance policy for it becuase it cost so much! I was going to display it in my classroom, but now that the frame could be sold on the black market and make a kid enough money to by a handgun or a years worth of drugs I am having second thoughts.

4 comments:

Claudia said...

It looks awesome, E! (How much did it cost to frame, by the way?) Love it.

Meg said...

I am sorry I didn't tell you about my blog. I only told Claudia. She was bugging me to write one and I was a little embarassed that I actually did so I didn't make it public knowledge. I guess I wasn't sure if I would continue you it so I didn't want to get everyone's hopes up. You know, parades, billboards, Read Meg's Blog t-shirts. You get the idea. So I was quiet about it. I guess you can't keep news like that under wraps for long. i am sorry you had to hear about it thru the grapevine. I didn't mean to leave you out. To make up for it. I will let you be the first to know that i have put up a new post. I will try to email you also but hotmail is wacked right now. So, go check my blog. And please forgive me. I love you.
Meg

laurel said...

I know what you mean about expnsive frames! I bought some original paintings in China...$25 bucks. Cost me $100 a frame. So I am into $300 for framing a total of $75 in art. What do you do? Looks good tho'. Obviously you are a great teacher to have a student give you something so personal. He will be famous some day and you will be glad your million dollar frame was there to protect it.

Meg said...

Well said (on my post, that is). I never thought of it that way but it is too true. Service breeds love on both ends. Even if you are getting paid a daily rate for that service.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...