Before my sister Beth had her first child, we would talk about what it would be like and the things we would and wouldn't do. Beth was adamant about not letting herself "go" when she became a mother, and I believe she has lived up to that. She will be the first to tell you though that she finds no joy in shopping for herself anymore. She can't wait for her children to look cute and have pretty little outfits. While my family was visiting a few weeks ago for the blessing of little Rori, and even thinking about my own behavior while I am with my nephew and niece (and the way all of my single friends talk about theirs too), the adults in my family that are in love with these children can so easily tune out the rest of the world when they are with the children they love. I often go to see Beth with the full intention of staying only long enough to say hi or drop something off and three or four hours later I am heading home because books and toy cars distracted me. My brother in law was in love with his new niece. My father loves being a grandpa, even relishes the time. Mom buys Happy Meals just to collect the toys for the next time she will see Mikey. Claudia watches the videos of the kids on the blogs countlessly because she doesn't want to miss a thing. When adults are in love with children, they are happy. When children have an adult in love with them, they are valued as they should be. Those of us who are in love with the children in our lives are crazy and obsessed and delighted with every little thing that countless other children throughout time have done and said but it never mattered until the one you are in love with did it just the way only he or she can. They are our little pieces of heaven.
Honestly, my life is rarely hardcore. Some even argue if I have a life. But it's mine. Welcome to it.
Monday, September 8, 2008
Children We Love
Before my sister Beth had her first child, we would talk about what it would be like and the things we would and wouldn't do. Beth was adamant about not letting herself "go" when she became a mother, and I believe she has lived up to that. She will be the first to tell you though that she finds no joy in shopping for herself anymore. She can't wait for her children to look cute and have pretty little outfits. While my family was visiting a few weeks ago for the blessing of little Rori, and even thinking about my own behavior while I am with my nephew and niece (and the way all of my single friends talk about theirs too), the adults in my family that are in love with these children can so easily tune out the rest of the world when they are with the children they love. I often go to see Beth with the full intention of staying only long enough to say hi or drop something off and three or four hours later I am heading home because books and toy cars distracted me. My brother in law was in love with his new niece. My father loves being a grandpa, even relishes the time. Mom buys Happy Meals just to collect the toys for the next time she will see Mikey. Claudia watches the videos of the kids on the blogs countlessly because she doesn't want to miss a thing. When adults are in love with children, they are happy. When children have an adult in love with them, they are valued as they should be. Those of us who are in love with the children in our lives are crazy and obsessed and delighted with every little thing that countless other children throughout time have done and said but it never mattered until the one you are in love with did it just the way only he or she can. They are our little pieces of heaven.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Thanks E! I want a copy of that picture you know. We sure love you in this house.
This made me cry.
So cute! You have a way of putting things...That picture is AWESOME! Perfect!
The new blog look is great. I know I can't wait for Adam and Claudia's baby. THere is something so wonderful about a baby that has just left Heavenly Father's presence. You will be a terrific aunt to their baby just as you are so wonderful to your other nieces/nephews.
Post a Comment