Friday, October 31, 2008

Scratching the itch

Tasha, the other tall English teacher at Cedar High, and I are on a mission - we have the writing bug and want to (at least attempt) to get published someday. Tasha and I attended a creative writing conference at SUU about a month ago. The itch began. About two weeks after that, Tasha invited a high school friend who is now a published novelist (Allison Condie) to speak with her class. The itch got itchier. We've both enjoyed writing for a while now, but for some reason it has evolved into something serious and focused. While Tasha is a fiction writer and I am on the poetry end, we have agreed to share our stuff with each other and to submit it to contests. I have thought about doing this before but made all sorts of excuses why I shouldln't until last week when Tasha walked into my classroom and handed me submission guidelines to a contest and TOLD me she expected me to get ready because I only had two months left. That is the best thing she could have done because I am pretty darn good at self-doubt, if I do say so myself, and would have talked myself out of anything I would have found on my own. There is a goal now, and it is so much easier to do it when you do it with someone else! (Like working out, or so I hear...). I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the push, Tasha!!!

Oh, and there is a strange phenomena in the English department - we dress the same all the time!!! Kid you not, at least two times a week there are at least two of us with the same outfit on, as demonstrated by Tasha and I in this picture...great minds - and the English department has the greatest minds at the school - think alike!

6 comments:

Claudia said...

I'm so excited that you're finally going to try to get some of your poems published! Maybe I'm biased, but you know I love your work! Good luck!

Also...could you check out my friend Sara's blog (linked on my page)? She volunteers by helping students with school work, and she has one student that she works with who is in 9th grade, but seems REALLY behind...I don't know if you would have any words of wisdom or not, but maybe?

Meg said...

Oh I am so excited. I used to look at the writers mag at the library all the time and think "I bet one day Erin will be in here". I even thought about submitting one of your poems for you but then thought that was crossing the line. I can't wait for you to do this! I hope you will be posting more of your poetry on your blog so we can share in your adventure. Hooray for your friend who dresses like you and is encouraging you to write more. I can't wait to hear more.

Tasha said...

Keep scratching! You know if you tell you classes how much you promise to write, they all check up on you. All the time, and are very excited to point out how much more work you have left. Try it - I dare you :)

Brianne said...

How exciting!!! Not so much about having an itch, but being published, that would be quite the accomplishment! And I am so jealous that you have young people in your English department. At my school it's just me and a bunch of old biddies. Yay.

Adamo said...

yo ciero mustash? Did you me "me gusta tu bigote?" I don't think you want a mustash. And it's not ciero it's quiero.

Jillian said...

Erin, This is exciting! I can't wait until I get to read your bestsellers....and we can talk all about them, really loud, in the library, on Tuesdays!
jillianhymas.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...