Tuesday, March 10, 2009

My response to HBO's series "Big Love"...

...and the episode which air's this Sunday showing sacred ceremonies that take place inside LDS temples.  
"I am saddened that HBO and the producers would take something so out of context as LDS temple ceremonies and air them as something to be gawked at on the show "Big Love".  Your choice to do this says a lot about your company and those who work as a part of it.  Not only have you broken a promise to the LDS church to keep them out of this show, you have also lied about not doing this for shock value...what other reason could the producers have but to be shocking, when they have also been quoted as saying that this is the first time this has been showed, proof that shock is exactly what the producers are going for.  If you had asked a current active member of the church what happens in the temple you would have found out - without the specifics that can and will so easily be taken out of context and cheapen the personal nature of the worship that takes place inside these special buildings.  If you had asked an active member of the church, you would have known how much dedication it takes to practice the LDS religion to the extent required to be worthy to enter a building as consecrated as the temple.  Instead, you will spend a few short minutes desecrating what takes a lifetime's worth of diligence and commitment to live up to. You may feel that you are being progressive.  You may feel that you are being edgy.  You may feel that you are being entertaining.  But I can't understand how the most special practices of a religion, no matter how "important" to the plot of your television show you misguidedly believe it is, is worth dragging through the media mud.  The disrespect being committed in the airing of this episode of "Big Love" will be neither progressive, edgy, or entertaining."
If you have not done so or are for the first time hearing about this, click the link below and RESPECTFULLY respond to HBO and the producers of "Big Love" to let them know how you feel about this.

4 comments:

Meg said...

Well put. I have been researching this thing all morning. From what I have read, Big Love is not scheduled to continue after this season. While some damage might have been done, at least it won't continue. I kind of think this was was their sick way of trying to drum up some viewers. Even mormon ones with a curiosity.
I think you are right about if someone asked a member, we would tell them. I hope that that is exactly what comes of this episode. That people will ask members.

Claudia said...

Well said, Erin. Well said.

Brianne said...

Good job lady!

Ann Jordan said...

Erin,
HBO is known for its habit of sensationalizing topics. (That is why we no longer subscribe to the channel.) There is no reason, other than that, to show sacred temple rites. Your comments were spot-on. If we looked closely at the rites of ALL religions, they would seem very strange/odd when taken out of context. Whenever television or movies depict a little Catholic girl receiving her First Communion in her white "wedding" dress I cringe. There's no telling what people are thinking because they don't see the whole picture. I know you're hurt over this. I don't blame you. Hang in there!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...