Sunday, September 27, 2009

Fashion or Faux Pas?

On Thursday of last week, I was attending to some business in the school library when I saw this painting for the first time. I asked Fred, our school's media specialist/doer of technological hodgepodgery, about it. He told me that in the '50's, Cedar High used to buy art work for the school at local art shows and the school had acquired it in 1956. An art researcher studying the artist had recently contacted the school to find out more about the painting as the name (The Yellow Screen) was listed in a book somewhere but the researcher knew nothing of the subject. Fred took the painting from the food's room where it had been hanging for years to photograph it and send to the researcher. What I found so interesting about the painting, and why I am blogging about it now, is that though I had never seen the painting before, I had on the same outfit as the woman. Down to the linked bracelet. While hers is more chunky, and my shirt doesn't have as large of ruffles, one must admit that it is a little startling to see your outfit on a painting almost 55 years old. When I pointed it out to my colleagues, they commented on the timelessness of fashion. When I pointed it out to my students, who were doing research in the library that day, they gave me pitying looks and comments about how I needed to get some new clothes. Ah, the perspective of youth. (But really, do I need to get new clothes?)

2 comments:

Claudia said...

The joy of fashion is that it mimics old(er) looks and updates them to be more modern--so NO, you do not need to get new clothes. You look great! (Plus, since I have the same blouse and still love it, that would mean that I, too, am in need of a new wardrobe. That fact is debatable, nay, required in some cases, but that is a different discussion altogether.) Glad you posted the picture--after hearing about it, I was very curious!

Meg said...

This is awesome. And you have always had a great sense of style. What a cool painting.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...