Monday, April 12, 2010

Pockets Full

I collect stones.
Mostly flat and smoothed
on the beaches where they've
been tumbled from
who knows where.

I like to imagine them
drifting from a distant shore
where someone else
stood in a salty breeze
with a pocketful like me,
compelled to pick them up
to study the messages of
time and long-suffering
they carry

and that only we who reach for them
can read.

4 comments:

Meg said...

I love this. It is so. . .calming. I know that is a weird description but it took me somewhere. I couldn't stop reading it.

Meg said...

Every month I like to have my preschool kids memorize a poem. Could I use this?

Erin said...

Sure, though it isn't exactly the pinnacle of poetic achievement!

Lisa said...

I love the poem! I also like your new layout. I also just barely watched the video's of Claire and Rory. They were all so cute.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...