I used to write in a journal. It was sporadic at best. I haven't even tried for at least a decade (how strange to say that) in large part because I would get busy or tired or forget and would go for weeks, months, close to a year without writing. Then I would feel the need to catch up, and it would take the honesty, detail, and interest out of it. More like a chore. And I felt strange doing it too, like I was talking to myself. Why was I trying to be funny, sincere, heartbroken for me? I already knew how that felt, or felt that I was trying too hard. It didn't feel real.
Blogging, on the other hand, has made me fall in love with writing. It starts kind of like a journal, but I know at some point, even if it is just my mom, someone will be reading it. I choose my words and ideas more carefully. I think and plan about my topic. Sometimes even research and survey the thoughts of other's. All the things my English teachers told me I should do before writing, I do. Yes, even the rough draft, because most of the time I write and publish, walk away for a day or two, and then re-read, edit, and revise. I feel bad for the people who read the first copy and never know that I go back and see the horrible mistakes, unclear thoughts, and overly emotional sentiments that will at some point be fixed, clarified, and toned down (or up, depending on the need).
But I have done a horrible thing. I have gone for about three months without really blogging. And I feel an itch. I need to catch up. I know other people do it too because I see their blog posts. But I don't want to because of the lessons learned from the failed attempts at journaling. So I must reach a compromise: I need to satisfy the internal beast that ruins things for me, and get the weight off my back so I can be creative again. The weight that says I am ignoring important events and people, if not to the world but absolutely for me. So here is my one word summary of the last two and a half months: FAMILY.
What a honor to have them come visit! How fun to go to where they are! What a privilege to spend time with them! Oh, how they make my burdens light. I am blessed!
 |
| At the end of August, my brother Mark finished his 5 year stint and two deployments to Afghanistan with the Navy. The original plan was to move to Cedar City, so he came to stay with Beth for about a month in September. We spent a fun day hiking Angel's Landing in Zion National Park. |
 |
| The baby blessing of Beth and Mike's newest daughter Sarah, who was born in April. |
 |
| Claudia and Claire came to visit in October. It was so much fun to have them stay with ME! |
 |
| Claire is full of personality. She loves accessories! |
 |
| Claudia, Claire and I went hiking at Zion NP as well. We went on three short hikes. It was fun to have some alone time with these two. Claire loved all of the water! |
 |
| Zion is beautiful on a rainy fall day. |
 |
| Just as a side note, I have lived in Cedar City for almost 11 year now (yikes!). People have talked about tarantulas and horned toads during those 11 years as though they fell from the heavens like manna. Last year, I finally saw my first horned toads. This fall, I saw a tarantula for the first time. Then I saw another one two weeks later. Tarantulas are not part of my family. They are only creepily interesting. |
 |
| Mark decided, after a visit home in Wisconsin, that he didn't want to live in Utah after all. He and Dad came out to pick up his stuff, but they didn't tell us they were coming. What a wonderful surprise! Though they only spent one full day, it was fun to have a half-family dinner. |
 |
| Ahhh, home for the holidays! |
 |
| Bucks vs. Jazz at Milwaukee. Such a fun game! |
 |
| Claudia is a family history whiz! I am so impressed with her interest and ability to find out information about our ancestors. Dad, Claudia, Adam and I went on a hunt to find the headstones of my father's grandparents, who had actually only lived about an hour from where my parents do now (though my father grew up in Milwaukee). Claudia's work helped us get there. |
 |
| I took the liberty of intruding on a private cuddle session of my sister's family. |
 |
| Claire is in bed, the presents are wrapped, and everyone was waiting for the morning to come. I wish Beth's family could have been here with us! |
 |
| Claire is helping Mom with reading the Nativity story, a tradition of ours before we open presents. |
 |
| My buddy liked to come make sure I was awake most mornings. She never said much, nor did she stay long, but the fact that she checked was sweet. |
 |
| The annual Hensel side of the family Christmas shindig. There are many of us who must drive for hours to spend the evening with each other. It's usually the only time all of us have a chance to get together, but the point is that all of us take the time to get together. |
 |
| Home is where the heart is. My heart is wherever my family is. |
3 comments:
I'm so glad you did that little update of the last few months. I'm pathetic, but I got a little teary eyed. I just love you and your family! I miss you guys! You were such a huge part of my life and it is so nice to see pictures and hear about all of you. I don't think you have any idea how you guys influenced my life. Anyway...I agree with you...home is wherever family is.
Love the post. You are a fantastic jornaler/writer, and I'm so glad you've returned to blogging!
Holy Gorgeous hair in that family picture! I still picture your hair short when we were roommates! You are so pretty! And I miss you!
Post a Comment