Monday, April 29, 2013

Easter, General Conference, and Soccer

It's April.  One day it'll be sunny and 70's warm, and the next it will be windy and raining or snowing.  Regardless of the forecast, April is the start of things - literally and figuratively.  Literally, spring activities start.  People are anxious to get outdoors, put shorts and sandals on, and enjoy the sun, however fleeting it is.  The trees and flowers are showing their newly sprouted faces of vibrant greens and yellows and pinks.  Figuratively, it is a time of spiritual awakening as the Easter holiday and the resurrection of Jesus Christ is celebrated and those of the Latter-Day-Saint faith gather in person or at the closest television screen to watch General Conference, as the leaders of the church, including the Prophet Thomas S. Monson, speak and share inspired messages to those willing to listen.  It is that time of year, and here is how I have been participating in the great awakening of this spring.

1) Easter Sunday:  I love my nieces and nephews.  I spend a lot of time with Mikey, Rori and Sarah because they live up the street from me. I even try to go to church with them, just so I can see them. I don't recall what was said during church on Easter day because, well, as anyone sitting with little kids at church will tell you, it's really hard to hear and focus.  But their sweet faces remain emblazoned in my mind, and I feel the need to be a better person so I can be a better example to them.  Somehow, being with them in the small way that I am feels like doing  a small part of what the Savior's life was all about - loving people, serving, teaching, being an example.









2)  General Conference:  Thanks to an amazing home teacher who snagged us tickets, my friend Lisa and I were able to attend the Saturday morning session of General Conference.  We were there to hear in person the announcement of the Cedar City Temple.  Rumors had been circulating for quite a while, but I refused to believe them until I heard it announced by the Prophet himself.  As he approached the pulpit, my heart started to race and I could feel my eyes welling up even before he said anything.  Then he said that he was pleased to announce two new temples.  "Only two?" I thought.  That doesn't give much leeway!  Then he announced said the words, and I started crying.  Lisa did a double-fisted victory arm pump.  There were audible gasps and shrieks of joy.  It was great. I had to ask where the second announced temple was, I was that overcome. Over the entirety of the four sessions of Conference, the message I came away with was to be committed to the gospel, and to get ready for the temple here, of course.  






This was not part of Conference, but a pleasant side affect.  So was visiting with great friends who live                                  in the Salt Lake area.
3)  Soccer:  My nephew Mikey has started soccer.  After the game I Saturday afternoon, it's debatable if he really likes it or not.  But two weeks ago, he was giddy, especially when his dad showed up.  He is a little timid still; Beth and I were wondering when competitiveness starts in kids.  Some kids playing already seem to get it, but on Mikey's team, the boys seem to still be under the impression that they need to take turn between teams kicking the ball, or that if another kids is winding up to kick it that they need to wait for him to be done.  There were a few minutes when Mikey got in there though.  If he will stick with it, it will be fun to watch him as he evolves athletically.





3 comments:

Claudia said...

You are so lucky to be able to spend time with those beautiful, precious kids. I miss them and wish I could be there, but I'm glad you can be. I'm also glad you got to go to conference. I could hear the shouts from the TV when the announcement was made, and I became very emotional too. Soo cool that you got to hear that announcement in person!

Claudia said...

Oh, and Culvers? I thought you didn't like butter burgers!

Erin said...

I don't, but I love cheese curds and shakes!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...