I know it goes without saying, but the vast majority of Rome is far from ancient. Sure, most of it is still really old (by US standards), but it is still the capitol of Italy. It actually felt a lot like Washington D.C. to me multiple times a day - government buildings guarded by men in various uniforms, food carts selling on-the-go foods Italian style next to all of the top spots, black cars with opaque tinted windows that looked very official...you get it.
 |
| National Archive |
 |
| There are a lot of beggars and gypsies in Rome, and I pretty much in all of Italy too. Some seemed legit. Others not. In Rome, the gypsy women would park right outside of the church doorways. A lot of beggars in Rome had dogs with them, like if you could say no to a person, you might find it harder to say no to the dog. I don't know much about the welfare system of Italy, but I felt really guilty for two weeks being afraid to give money to either those who didn't really need it or that it was a ploy to see where my money was stashed so someone else in a team could lift it off of me in a block or two (as The Rick warns in his book) |
 |
| Termini Train Station - the craziest, most congested train station I've even seen |
 |
| Some streets close to traffic at the end of the day so people can stroll. We were some of those people. |
 |
| See the guitar player up there? And the gypsy woman down below? He was playing Guns & Roses or something, collecting change in his guitar case, and she walks up to him WHILE HE IS PLAYING, putting out her hand for him to give HER money. Without missing a beat, he holds a note, reaches down to get some money out of his case, hands it to her, and keeps playing. Then the police come and, I assume, scold him for giving her money. He didn't stop playing for them either. |
 |
I kept waiting for Gregory Peck to show up and whisk me away on his Vespa,
but alas, he never did. (the Spanish Steps) |
 |
| Altare della Patria, Victor Emmanuel II's monument (often called the wedding cake) |
 |
| artists and vendors at the Piazza Navona |
 |
| Trevi Fountain |
 |
The Borghese Gardens are beautiful. Ann and I didn't see much of them - we only walked the main pathway to the Borghese Gallery - but it was a nice escape from the hustle and bustle of the city, and I wish I had known more about them so I could have taken advantage of the time I had there.
The Borghese Gallery is a must see in Rome. MUST SEE! Make your reservations in advance (you have to have them), and go. The Bernini statues are worth it, and there are a lot of other beautiful works there. Photography is not allowed there, of course, but it was in my top three things to do in Rome.  |
2 comments:
Love that picture of you at the Trevi Fountain. So cute.
How fun to catch up on your Italy travels. Love all the pictures. I was just telling my roomie how I wish I could take pictures like you.
Post a Comment