
Day two of the Moab adventure began bright and early. During the night, another 13 people showed up, bringing our total to 25. We had only reserved the campsite for one night and thought originally that we would have to pack everything up before our 8:30 am call at Red River Adventures. Long story short, that changed. We didn't end up on the river until about 10 am. As I had never gone river rafting before, I opted to be in a raft that didn't want to flip over. I have very little upper body strength and was worried for my life after the crash course information session we had about five minutes before hitting the river. The Colorado River is actually at the highest level it's been in (I think) about ten years, so the rapids weren't as bad as they could have been. The other rafts actually had to force themselves to flip. The water was really cold, and we got wet whether or not we flipped. It was wonderfully fun and a great way to see Moab!



Getting our life jackets, the debriefing, and the bus ride over.
So I bought one of those waterproof cameras to take pictures uninhibited while in the water. I forgot how crappy the film in those things is! Not to mention that I was on a moving base, so you think you are taking pictures of one thing but then you hit a swell and take it of something entirely different. Plus, when I really wanted to be taking pictures is the same moment I needed to be paddling. Oh well. Thanks to Moab Action Shots for the arial view!


We did stop for lunch, which was provided by the outfitters. After we finished with the rapids, there was time to play games and get into water fights with other rafts. Laura tried to throw her guide out of the raft. Unfortunately for her she failed, and was herself promptly thrown out of the raft!




We finished on the river at about 3 pm. Laura and a few others had to leave right away, but the rest of us went back to camp. Some jumped into the river, others played cards...I napped as best I could in the heat. After dinner, some of us went back to Slick Rock to play and watch the sun set. We then headed back to camp and settled around the campfire for lots and lots of s'mores!
3 comments:
Looks like a fun trip!
That looks so fun. I love the way you blog. These last two entries are making me really excited to come to Utah. I know I am not planning to run a river or do anything too adventurous but just being around that beautiful desert is going to be fun and nostalgic. You look like you had a blast and I am glad that Mark got to go with you. How long is he there?
dang girl... looks like you had some serious fun!
Post a Comment