
Well, it's that time of year again when people remember how much they like their families and get together outside to grill up some bratwurst. I, like so many before me, trekked east to the Midwest (how's that for an oxymoron!) to enjoy the best about being part of a Forever Midwestern American Family. I ate my body weight in bratwurst, pizza, and mom's chocolate walnut chocolate chip cookies (not an oxymoron). I got annoyed with a sibling, played with the grandkinds (my parents, not mine), was cultured and naturalized, shopped 'til Idropped, and visited with a lot of good and well-established family friends (I wanted to say 'old' just now, but I was going more for the idea that they've been friends for a long long time and less about how many years they have been cutting their finger nails). I went for as many walks as I could, and rummaged through old family pictures while Mom and Dad told us family history stories and relationships. I slept in three different beds, and held three different darling babies. I enjoyed sunsets over Lake Michigan and walking through misty rain. I spent quality alone time with my parents and all of my siblings. I laughed so hard I cried and was sad so hard I cried. I saw funny faces, annoyed faces, pretty faces, and handsome faces, and faces that love each other. No matter what else happened or will happen this summer, I got to spend some of it with my family. And THAT is priceless.
3 comments:
i LOVE your writing. Love it... love it... love it! Thank you for sharing.
Okay, so your friend beat me to the punch. I think you were born to be a writer. I love you and miss you more than I can say.
P.S. Love that shot of the badger! I'm still mad that my camera battery put me out of commission at the zoo!
Post a Comment