Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Work of Women

I never liked cooking until I made my first soup.
This work of women to feed hungry mouths
was no desire of mine to claim,
but I resigned myself
with the leftovers of a celebration
not to be wasted.

Not until the onions stained my fingers with
pungence and the amber stock
became a means of sustenance to satisfy life
did I feel the power that this
potion of nutriment could have
in turning me into a woman.

2 comments:

Meg said...

I love this. To take something so daily and make it so beautiful. . .I am speechless. Beautiful. You are so amazing. i LOVE that you are posting more poems here.

When did you write this?

Erin said...

Last fall/winter. I had the leftovers of a turkey dinner in the freezer, made the broth from scratch, and then the soup from that (which Claudia provided). Turkey mushroom sage and wild rice cream soup. Delicious.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...