Sunday, July 6, 2014

I Spy With My Little Eye...

I love hiking in Wisconsin.  I struggle at embarrassing proportions attempting to scale mountains in the scorching heat of Utah's desert, which seems to be the only hiking allowed there. But when I go home, I feel like I can walk forever.  And even though there is humidity and clouds of mosquitoes to deal with, the abundance of wildlife is the greatest thrill for me (see this post from two summers ago).  Here are a few of the creatures I spied on a hike my dad and I took at Barkhausen Waterfowl Preserve just outside of Green Bay in June.



This is a snapping turtle.  It creepily rose to the surface from the murky depths of the pond, and then just as creepily sunk back out of sight.


But this is my favorite - Dad and I were crossing a boardwalk that opened into the middle of a cattail marsh.  A deer bolted off in the distance, and we took a minute to reapply bug repellent and take a water break.  As we headed back down the boardwalk, I noticed this little sweetness curled up next to it.  We had walked right passed it without noticing:
I couldn't even see it breathing, it was so still.  Even when I stopped next to it and whispered to my dad to come over, it stayed stone still.

Dad suggested I pet it, so I crept quietly above it and reached a few fingers down to lightly stroke its head.  It must have been so worried, but still it refused to move.  I was impressed with how strong its camouflage and instincts were.

After only the slightest touch, I backed away, not wanting it to worry any more than it had to.  And that's when it moved it's head upright and stared me right in the eye.  I had time to take one picture, and then it bolted into the forest.

It is an experience I will never forget!


1 comment:

Claudia said...

So cool! How soft was it? Do you remember that Nature episode about deer (I think you watched it with me, anyway)? It said that fawns give off no scent, which is why the mothers don't stay to protect their babies. It's amazing how spots, which seem so conspicuous of a coat to us, really are hidden when sitting on the forest floor. Love the turtles too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...