It's his fault really - the compulsion I have. It's so disruptive too: I can't go anywhere without wanting it, I can't be with others without thinking about it, I slow others down because I need to stop frequently take to take part, I feel sadness and/or anxiety when I miss out on it - like, a real loss. And the only thing I can think of that would cause this is the years and years of being subjected to my father's example. So yeah, I blame him for my propensity to take (or at least try to take) photographs of every living thing I see while hiking or walking or visiting a new place. I can remember Dad, stopped in the middle of a nature trail, hunched down with his lens up close to a flower. Him making us stop to take a picture in front of a panorama. Zooming in on a tourist attraction. Yup, he passed it on to me, and I know because I can't go anywhere without taking a camera with me (even if I end up not using it). And I sure did use it this summer! Here are some of the moments of natural beauty my addiction compelled me to capture. There are kind of a lot, but I kind of like pictures, and I kind of like looking at details, and I kind of like the beauty of Wisconsin in the summer.
 |
| At the Green Bay Wildlife Sanctuary |
 |
| Green Bay Wildlife Sanctuary |
 |
| Green Bay Wildlife Sanctua |
 |
| Sandhill Crane, Green Bay Wildlife Sanctuary |
 |
| OK, not a native to WI, but I still liked how this turned out. At the Green Bay Wildlife Sanctuary. |
 |
| Queen Ann's Lace, along the East River trail |
 |
| Along the East River trail |
 |
| At Barkhausen Waterfowl Preserve |
 |
| Red-tailed Hawk at Barkhausen Waterfowl Preserve |
 |
| Barkhausen Waterfowl Preserve |
 |
| Wild lilies at
Barkhausen Waterfowl Preserve |
 |
| At
Barkhausen Waterfowl Preserve |
 |
| 12-Spotted Skimmer,
Barkhausen Waterfowl Preserve |
 |
| Painted Turtle,
Barkhausen Waterfowl Preserve |
 |
| Leopard Frog,
Barkhausen Waterfowl Preserve |
 |
| Green Heron (I've always wanted to see one of these!),
Barkhausen Waterfowl Preserve |
 |
| No, this is not Hawaii! 10 White Egrets,
Barkhausen Waterfowl Preserve |
 |
| This and the next are dahlia's my mom grew in the back yard |
 |
| UWGB Arboretum |
 |
| UWGB Arboretum |
 |
| UWGB Arboretum |
 |
| UWGB Arboretum |
 |
| UWGB Arboretum |
 |
| UWGB Arboretum |
 |
Sumac at the UWGB Arboretum
|
Back when John Mayer wasn't a terrible boyfriend with an identity crisis, he sang a song, 3 x 5, whose lyrics I still hope will someday be something I can say with confidence: "Didn't have a camera by my side this time. Hoping I would see the world through both my eyes"..."Oh, today I finally overcame Tryin' to fit the world inside a picture frame." Maybe I will someday abandon my addiction, but what will have to happen for that to happen? Who can say, really. Until the day I find out, I will be the one clicking away at whatever moves. Don't mind me.
No comments:
Post a Comment