Sunday, September 16, 2012

What a Capitol Idea! - Part 1

Hahaha, I'm so witty with titles, aren't I?!  But I digress.  I had a really tough school year last year - there was something in the air - the politics of public education, family issues, a stressed boss which in turn stresses everyone else out, money, interdepartmental feuds, new curriculum standards that are both exciting yet sometimes seem impossibly unattainable, a crisis of faith, new challenges as a coach on the debate team, the seven year itch of a job...who can say really.  Since most of the issues were completely out of my control, I needed time to get away...OK, run away...from my problems.  When the school year ended, I was going to "Escape to Wisconsin," as the popular bumper sticker from my childhood stated.  But this wasn't going to be just any visit home.  I was going to do things I hadn't done before or, if nothing else, things I hadn't done since I was a child.  And I had never been to Madison - the capital city of Wisconsin, home of the University of Wisconsin, and origin of all things cool (so people make it sound).  Half of my inner circle of high school friends went here for college.  It boasts the only state capitol built on an isthmus.  My dad's biggest regret in life is not going to school here.  It's been the center of national news coverage over the last year because of Governor Walker and his legislation regarding collective bargaining rights for state employees and the massive protests that resulted.  It's a liberal hippie town of artists and writers and academics, and I wanted to see if it was everything it was cracked up to be.  I'll let the pictures do the talking.

Wisconsin State Capitol Building:

Is it wrong that I think this  building outshines the Capitol in Washington D.C.?  Because I do.






I think she is regally beautiful

Every time I looked at this guy, I felt like I was looking at King Triton from The Little Mermaid.
Alexander the Great?




The badger, state animal of Wisconsin (hence UW's mascot)



Creeper spy shot!
There are dozens of fossils scattered throughout the building, embedded in the marbles and granites that were brought in from around this country and Europe to make the building.  There is a map that tells you where to find some of the most impressive specimens, and we went on a hunt to find them.  It was pretty fun!




Observation deck at the base of the dome
State Street from the top of the Capitol looking toward the University of Wisconsin campus


Remnants of the farmer's market, the largest producer-only market in the nation, which wraps around the entire Capitol Square.


1 comment:

Claudia said...

I really wish I could've done that with you. The capitol building is beautiful. I love the badger! Will you do that again with me?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...