Friday, April 4, 2008

A Case of Mistaken Identity

I went with my sister and nephew to see Horton Hears a Who on Saturday. About an hour into the movie, when the popcorn ran out and the Mountain Dew kicked in, I took him out in the hall to run around for a bit. He loves to see the more-than-lifesized cardboard cutouts of the Kung Fu Panda (he growls, points, runs up to touch the panda...) so I knew he would be entertained. About 20 minutes into the hall, he is having more fun with the panda cutouts and me running next to him then he was having in the movie. And then he spots this:
Do you want to guess what his response is? "Jesus." But not just a mumble under his breath. I'm talking about animated, pointing, frantically trying to get my attention repetition. Mikey's abilityat this age to recognize Jesus in pictures is so sweet and precious. So you can imagine my shock when he points out the free-love version of Satan and mistakenly identifies him as the Savior of the world...that durn facial hair! I just softly told him, no honey, that's not Him and tried not to laugh. Those durn kids. I like the world durn. Or bleepety bleep bleep. It's certainly helping me curb my language for now until I become more holy...

4 comments:

Meg said...

AHHH HA HA HA HA! My favorite favorite favorite stories about kids are the ones where they say funny stuff. This is classic. I love it so much. thanks for the pic, too, since I had never heard of this movie (or kung fu pand for that matter!) How fun that you took Mikey to the movies. I haven't braved it with Lily yet. Love the story. So hilarious. Did anyone else hear?

Claudia said...

THat is one of the funniest stories that I've heard in a long time...and your comment about this being Satan yada yada. You are such a funny writer! And my nephew is one of the cutest babies ever!

Tasha said...

Glad to have found you! I love stories like these, but they are taken to a whole new level of embarrassment when the lovely children make this claim about a person you run into and aren't hard of hearing enough to hear them call them Jesus. Oh, the shades of red.

laurel said...

That is funny!!!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...