The last day trip my parents and I took was to Plymouth. It is a cute seaside town with lots of seafood restaurants, gift shops, and places of historical interest.
I had been here a few times before but had never been on the replica of the Mayflower. It is an exact copy of the original and I have a new appreciation for the Pilgrims - especially those with children - and the journey they made. They sat it almost total darkness in the cargo deck - because they were the cargo. I found the information about their diet most fascinating. Calorie wise they needed to eat about double what we are recommended to eat, especially if working as a deck hand. They ate almost no sugar, but about three to four times the sodium of what is recommended daily. Also, to be the cook on a ship would take a lot of skill - a LOT, not only so the supply lasts and everyone eats enough, but to make sure the food doesn't spoil would take a lot of know-how to budget it out and make the most of it. I'll keep my refridgerator, thank you!
1 comment:
Yeah, I had to do a double-take at that sign. Funny! After Boston and Concord, Plymoth is one of my favorite cities to visit. It is so quaint. My friend Sara lived in Boston for a while, and sometimes she says "wicked"--I love it! It makes me think of family--Gina, especially. Sara said that when she lived in Boston, she couldn't say "wicked" because she was an outsider, but now that she has moved on, she has the right to say it because she DID live there once. Anyway, I love the way they used "wicked"!
Post a Comment