Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Small Town America

I've lived in Cedar City for 8 years now - 8!!! And while there may be those who argue that Cedar City is not that small, I would argue back to the contrary. In my years here and visiting even smaller towns in southern Utah, I have experienced many charming aspects of small town America. This July has led to more reflection on this subject.

The parade on July 4th - my first time attending in all my years in C-town - was a community event. It looked like every person in town was there. It was so much fun to see my nephew and so many other children really getting into the race for thrown candy.
That evening, my brother-in-law's family had their own games and fireworks show while singing patriotic songs. The neighbors came out to enjoy them from their balcony. Rori got into it too!

This past weekend I ventured north with my friends. Friday night was the Ute Stampede in Nephi.While I am not a huge fan of rodeo's it was entertaining and there were many cute cowboys that were easy on the eyes! What touched me is how patriotic small town America is. Say what you want about cowboys-hicks-the "ignorance" of small town people (the superiority complex of some big city folk), but when the flag passed by, everyone stood. When the National Anthem was sung, I COULD HEAR PEOPLE SINGING! The first 20 minutes was a tribute to service men and women. The smaller the town, the more pride there seems to be in where they come from - not connected to a sports team's success, just proud of the way of life of their family.

5 comments:

Julie said...

I also agree with the idea that small town America is generally more patriotic. Maybe it's just easier to spot because you are in a smaller confined area and are able to truly celebrate with the entire community. However or whatever the reasons....I love it! My father was born and raised in Nephi and so I grew up going to the Ute Stmapede every summer. I loved it. I always remeber the parachute guy flying down with the huge American flag while they played Lee Greenwood's (?) God Bless America. I was always choked up. Everytime I hear that song, those same strong feelings come rushing back....as well as all the cowboys that are 'easy' on the eyes...

Brianne said...

this has nothing to do with your blog, i just didn't know how to respond about heather! she just had her second brain surgery in may to remove a tumor. it keeps growing back so that's discouraging but she's doing great. i saw her today--i was in utah today, how strange! her hair is growing in nicely from where they shaved it and her recent MRI shows no new tumor growth. she still has cancer in the brain, just cells scattered all over, but the bulk of the tumor is gone and CROSS YOUR FINGERS it won't grow back again.

Meg said...

Very cool post. I love the way you comment on things. So poetic and yet, so true. I loved your comment about the cowboys too. Growl.

Dana Hewitt said...

You totally should have done the sky coaster, it's the coolest feeling. Call me next time and I'll come and do it with you, it's so scary! You've got to do it!! And way to go for small town America! I've got to tell ya, I grew up in a small town, hick town even, and the people there are the most patriotic I've ever known; what you said is so true!

laurel said...

I agree Cedar is small. We live in a small town too. i love the small town parades. They are the best!!! You do such fun things....wow! I saw you went and visited Claudia and Adam. I was so glad to see them on thr 4th. We need them to move closer.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...