Thursday, May 23, 2013

I've Got a Dream

 Five and a half years ago in November of 2007, I bought a vintage Italian travel poster calendar.  I made the purchase with the express purpose of having a daily reminder of what I needed to save for - my dream trip.  I don't remember exactly when I decided that my life would have to include a trip to Italy, but it's been a dream of mine for as long as I can remember.  I always KNEW I would travel internationally because my parents had.  Of course that meant that I would too.  It took years of teaching before an opportunity presented itself:  a few months after the calendar purchase, I was asked if I would like to help lead a student trip to France and Spain in June 2009.  My initial response was no, because a) I had no burning desire to see either place, b) I din't think I could come up with the money, and c) it wasn't Italy, and that was the trip I had always dreamed of taking.  Wouldn't it be bad luck to go on another European trip first?  Wouldn't it mean that I would NEVER be able to save enough money if I went there first?  Why spend the money to go on a trip I wasn't interested in?

Well, I changed my mind about that trip after doing a tiny amount of research, was able to save the money and go on an amazing adventure that I cherish even four years later.  Italy seemed like a distant unreality though, but I had made it to Europe at least once in my life, and it couldn't be that much different than Spain, right?

In October 2010, I felt that I should go to Germany to pursue a career ambition of mine.  The trip would be during the Thanksgiving break, and because of the time of year would cost a third to a half less than what it would during the summer.  But it was still a lot of money on short notice.  If I was able to get a job (or at least network myself into a position where I would be considered), Italy would be a short train ride over.  Having gone on the previous trip gave me the confidence to travel to Europe again and alone this time, and helped me to learn how to budget for such a trip.  Even on my salary, it was possible (well, the credit card made up the difference, but still...).  No job came out of the attempt, not even an interview or a glance at my application, nor an invitation to tour the school after I had traveled all that way.  I got a 45 minute meeting with a principal where I asked questions about the school system and a "good luck," but  I don't regret the attempt at all.  Italy was pushed back yet again, but I had taken the chance for another dream (living abroad).  I still hope it may happen in the future.

The calendar is still hanging on my wall, all these years after buying it.  After Germany, I decided that my next trip would be Italy - enough was enough.  Whether by myself (now I knew I could do it) or with others, it would happen.  I tutored, started coaching the debate team, put a little aside each month, and saved my tax returns to get the money.  But after two years I got the money...have the money!  I'm finally going.  I leave tomorrow, and can't wait.  I will have 15 days to savor a longtime dream.  The questions is, which calendar should I get next?

2 comments:

Claudia said...

I'm so excited for you!!! I can't wait to hear about EVERYTHING when you get back!

As for your next calendar....I think we should make the purchase together. ;)

Meg said...

You leave TOMORROW???? I am shocked! I wanted to send you smoething for your trip but I have been so engrossed in my own life I did not realize you were leaving TOMORROW! Our school don't get out until JUne!!!

I really had a thought to call you yesterday. A strong thought. Which I ignored (obviously). You will be insanely busy tonight but you will talk to me for five whole minutes (if you have time, that is. . .I really should have called yesterday).

Oh, and Thailand. You should buy a Thailand calendar next.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...