Saturday, June 13, 2009

Doors and Windows...

...make the best frames. And sometimes just the best pictures.

I didn't love Barcelona overall (it was Sunday and much of the city was closed down), but it did have amazing doors and windows in the Gothic quarter (the only part I did love). This is the oldest part of the city, and it has the very narrow roads, sometimes only three sets of shoulders wide in parts, which are so close together it is dark on a sunny day. After a while, the French architecture and the Spanish architecture start to look a lot alike, but there is something about an old Spanish door that is much more picturesque than a French one. This is the side of the church with the oldest gargoyles in Spain. This is also the spot where four sneaky Spaniards almost made off with the contents of my friend Ann's purse. Luckily, she saw the woman's hand before she caught hold of anything. I personally think it was the gargoyle that threw our petty criminal off...maybe.
One of the reasons I didn't like this city was it was dirty with shabby "new" buildings and apartments. Everyone lives in apartments, even in smaller cities, because housing is so expensive, there are so many people, and Spain's economy isn't great in a good year. But there was also so much grafitti in this city. This door I found so interesting becuase if you look at the marker stone above the door, you will see how old it is-our oldest buildings don't come close, yet this one has been defaced with spray paint. Such an anomaly...
On the same street is the home of a Knight's Templar. You can tell from the cross above the door (and a knowledgeable tour guide). This mansion had four other crosses on it, as well as the coat of arms of the original resident. The image below is from the same home.

Spain's famous cured ham in a storefront window. This ham is served everywhere and is similar to Italian prosciutto. There is many a shop window dedicated to these legs of ham, making the storefronts of Spain very different to French ones.


I did love Madrid and am truly sad I spent so little time there. Here are two of my favorites - the first one at the Plaza Mayor, and the second from my hotel room.

Tossa de Mar, on the Costa Brava of Spain (northeast of Barcelona on the Mediterranean) is the hands-down winner of great door to window ratio's, and is another city I would love love love to spend more time in:


Carcassonne, France



Both of these were taken in the western Parisian suburb of St-Germain-en-Laye. If I ever go back to Paris, I WILL stop here during the day when the shops are open. It was quiet and charming, a nice change from Paris which is busy, impatient and loud.

At the Basilica of Sacre Coeur, one of the most beautiful buildings I have ever seen, overlooking Paris So the next time you feel God has closed a door or window, take a picture. Maybe what's on the other side isn't nearly as appealing as the door itself!



1 comment:

Claudia said...

Love it, love it, love it. So beautiful. My favorites are the one with the gate that opens up to the water, and the one at Sacre Coeur. You have such a great eye, and the pictures look like postcards.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...