Thursday, June 18, 2009

Finding love in the City of Lights and beyond

Before going to Spain, my brother-in-law warned me about Spanish men and how forward they are. Boy, was he right! I guess I could say that about France as well. Two of the girls on the trip were hit on multiple times in France (see exhibit A): stared at, given phone numbers, invitations to various rendezvous by the river...

In Spain, if a guy thinks you're cute, he stares you in the eye and smiles (and dosn't have to have his buddies with him for moral support). You may think it is just your mind playing tricks on you, but after looking away and looking back, he is still there with that smile. He may even go so far as to turn around and follow you, lean out of his car to say something to you, or walk past you - while staring, of course - a half dozen times. Of course, since this behavior is not entirely normal in the US outside of a bar setting after a few drinks to make him bold, if a girl is interested, say, but is a little on the shy side, she may not know what the correct response to him is, because this is not within her realm of experience. Of course, she may find the young man - or not so young man - a little creepy and hopes that if she avoids eye contact he will go away. OR she thinks he is hitting on her, but maybe he is just trying to pickpocket her.
Why does love have to be so hard?

2 comments:

Claudia said...

I'm just trying to imagine what it would've been like if one of these emboldened young men had been at our high school as a foreign exchange student. Not one of the googly guys that actually came as a f.e.s., but one of these cute guys with a French accent. Wait...I wouldn't have been the object of his affection, so what am I wondering about?

Meg said...

I just don't even know what to say. I loved this entry though. I was laughing my head off for some reason.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...