My first meal in Venice was a chicken Scaloppini (I think). It was good (I've never had it before and thought I was ordering scallops, sooo...) but I was worried about the restaurant being the precise kind that is a nasty tourist trap - you know, the menu as thick as a bible with pictures showing you what each item is supposed to look like, right on the main drag. But exhaustion was setting in, the hunger resulting from not having eaten since the airplane breakfast at 7 in the morning, uncertainty of where a good place to eat could be found, and unfamiliarity with the protocol of ordering food in a different language all played a part in the restaurant choice of convenience over everything Rick Steves' would advise.
I did buy a chocolate croissant for breakfast the next morning, and it had what tasted like crushed almonds in it - a surprising and delicious addition to a fabulous European standard.
Italian restaurants bring bread to the table. Then they charge a service charge. Water - gassed or not - is brought out in sealed glass bottles. Then they charge you for it. Spendy! If you order a coke, you will get a can (smaller than the US standard) and a glass without ice and a 3 to 4 Euro price tag.
Italians have a cappuccino and maybe a croissant for breakfast. They might have a glass of spremuto, freshly squeezed orange juice. We have nice, big breakfasts at our hotels, but not because its what the locals do.
I've skipped a few lunches, but not galato. I've had pistachio, chocolate (multiple times), lemon, watermelon, lime, mango, chocolate chip, and my favorite, coconut. So far, my favorite galateria is Riva's in Varenna. Just look:
My friend from my early teens, Christa, recommended a restaurant in Venice. I was able to find it. We went back twice. The first time I had a buffalina pizza: mozzarella, fresh buffalo mozzarella, and basil. And a coke, of course. Ann got a spicey shrimp spaghetti. She shared. Sooo good! For dessert, I had a chocolate soufflé. It was so chocolatey and so light. Ann had tiramisu. Hmmm!
![]() |






2 comments:
cuddle fish in it's own ink!! Now we are talking! That is awesome. I have never had anything like that. The food looks amazing. I wanted to eat that pasta dish from my computer! I am so glad that you are spending a lot of money on food. That is the best.
Yay food! I'm glad that you tried (and liked!) the cuddle fish. that does sound interesting! One of my regrets is that I didn't try the pudding in Ireland. As in the black, made-from-blood pudding that they serve at breakfast. I had planned on it - they had it at our hotel - but I had gotten so much food at the buffet that I thought I would just wait until the full breakfast I knew we would get at the B&B in Northern Ireland. And then, of course, the B&B didn't have the pudding. Lost opportunity for local food. Anyway, I'm very happy reading about the food, because i've been wondering about what you've been eating!
Post a Comment